Home > Insurance Policies > Mobilehomes & Manufactured Homes

California Mobilehome and Manufactured Home Earthquake Insurance Policies

CEA Condo-Unit Policy Coverages & DeductiblesIs your mobilehome or manufactured home ready for the next earthquake?

Mobilehomes are vulnerable to shaking, often bearing major foundation damage from a large earthquake. Be ready for the next big one.

CEA earthquake insurance policies for mobilehomes provide the resources you need to recover from a damaging earthquake.

Get a quick earthquake insurance price estimate using our premium calculator. And talk to your mobilehome insurer about the CEA earthquake-coverage options that fit your needs and budget. They will also help you purchase your CEA mobilehome earthquake insurance policy.

How to Buy a Policy

Does Mobilehome Insurance Cover Earthquakes?

Your mobilehome policy doesn’t cover earthquake damage.

Your mobilehome owner insurance policy does not cover earthquake damage to your home. Get a CEA mobilehome earthquake insurance policy to protect your home and belongings. Our policies are affordable, and flexible with choices of deductibles. Buy a CEA mobilehome earthquake policy from your mobilehome insurance company today.

CEA Mobile & Manufactured Home Coverage Options*

CEA the largest provider of California residential earthquake insurance. CEA is not-for-profit. Our insurance rates are based on the best available science and research, not profit. Get the best choice of mobilehome earthquake insurance policies with CEA coverage. Deductibles are available at 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% or 25%. For new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and renewals on or after November 1, 2023, homes with a Coverage A limit over $1 million can only select deductibles of 15%, 20%, or 25%.

Home (dwelling)** -

Home (dwelling)**

Learn More
CEA’s earthquake insurance dwelling coverage can be purchased alone or bundled with other coverages. Policy coverage includes earthquake damage to your mobilehome or manufactured home and certain structures attached to it, such as an attached garage.
Personal Property** -

Personal Property**

Learn More
Personal property coverage protects the valuables inside your home. This includes items like furniture, clothing, sporting goods or electronics that are damaged or lost in the event of a major earthquake. Household items that have been damaged or destroyed by an earthquake may be repaired or replaced under this coverage.
Loss of Use -

Loss of Use

Learn More
You may need temporary housing while your home is being repaired or if a civil authority keeps you out of the area due to earthquake damage. Loss of Use covers the additional cost of living elsewhere, while you may still be paying your mortgage. It also covers additional items, including food, moving, and storage expenses. This CEA coverage never has a deductible.
Building Code Upgrade -

Building Code Upgrade

Learn More
Older mobile homes that are damaged by a major earthquake may need upgraded components such as plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning systems to pass local and state building inspections. Rebuilding after a devastating earthquake generally must be done to current building-code standards. A $10,000 building code upgrade coverage is included with every CEA mobilehome policy. For more help with added costs choose available Building Code upgrade coverage with even higher limits.
Emergency Repairs -

Emergency Repairs

Learn More
Emergency and necessary repairs may be needed after an earthquake to help protect your home from additional damage following earthquakes, rain or similar damage due to earthquake damage, or an aftershock. This could include labor and materials needed to board up damaged windows. The first $1,500 has no deductible.
Breakables** -


More Info
Not available for new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and renewals on or after November 1, 2023.

learn more about Mobilehome policy coverage

Do I Need Mobilehome Earthquake Insurance?

Guard against financially damaging shaking events with CEA mobilehome earthquake insurance.

Earthquakes are unlike any other natural disaster. There aren’t any warning signs or advanced notice. But one thing is certain: California, with nearly 16,000 known faults, is due for a devastating earthquake in the near future.

Mobilehome owner earthquake insurance is not required in California, unlike automobile liability insurance. Without CEA’s affordable mobilehome earthquake insurance, you will be responsible for 100 percent of all the costs to repair your home and replace your belongings after a major earthquake.

How Expensive is Mobilehome Earthquake Insurance?

CEA’s affordable mobilehome earthquake insurance policies let you select the coverage that fits your budget. Premiums are determined by things such as your mobile or manufactured home’s age, location near a fault, foundation type, construction type and roof type.

For the best choice of CEA earthquake policies, select deductibles from 5%-25%.  For new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and renewals on or after November 1, 2023, homes with a Coverage A limit over $1 million can only select deductibles of 15%, 20%, or 25%.

How to Qualify for a Mobilehome Discounted Premium

You may be eligible for CEA mobilehome earthquake insurance policy discount (21%) if you own a retrofitted mobilehome. Mobilehomes that have been properly retrofitted have a better chance to withstand earthquakes. A seismic retrofit involves strengthening your dwelling to make it more resistant to shaking.

To receive a discount on your CEA earthquake insurance premium, your mobilehome:

  • Must be reinforced by an earthquake-resistant bracing system certified by the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), or
  • Has been installed on an approved foundation system in accordance with subdivisions (a) or (b) of section 18551 of the California Health and Safety Code.

Where to Buy Earthquake Insurance

CEA mobilehome owner earthquake insurance is easy to buy. Contact your insurance agent to discuss adding a separate CEA earthquake policy to your mobilehome owners insurance. You can add the coverage today, no need to wait until your mobilehome owner policy comes up for renewal.

CEA works with 25 residential insurance companies that serve the majority of Californians.

Read Your CEA Policy Carefully

*We encourage you to read your entire CEA policy—and its policy declarations page—to understand your coverages and how they work. Exclusions and special limits apply. All terms and conditions of CEA insurance coverage are found in the CEA insurance-policy form. Refer to a sample policy, below.

Homeowners Choice Policy Sample** (PDF)
Standard Homeowners Policy Sample** (PDF)

**Reflects policy option changes that went into effect for new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and for renewals on or after November 1, 2023. These changes include Dwelling Deductible Options (Coverage A), Personal Property Limits (Coverage C), Breakables, and Exterior Masonry Veneer. Learn more about our 2023 Policy Option Changes.

Mobilehome and Manufactured Home FAQs

 We’ve gathered some frequently asked questions from mobilehome and manufactured homeowners to help you understand how a CEA policy can help you recover from the next damaging earthquake.
Q. Why do I need earthquake insurance?
A. In California, your residential insurance policy doesn’t cover your home or your belongings against earthquakes. If you don’t have an earthquake insurance policy, you’re not covered for earthquake damage or any additional costs needed to live elsewhere while your home is being repaired or rebuilt after a quake. Contact your residential insurer today to get the earthquake insurance you need.
Q. How much does a CEA earthquake insurance policy cost?
A. The cost of your policy depends on many factors such as the earthquake risk where you live, the age and characteristics of your home, and the coverages and deductibles you choose. CEA offers several coverage choices as well as a number of deductible options to help you find a policy that best meets your needs and budget. Use our Premium Calculator for a free estimate.
Q. How does CEA’s deductible work? Do I have to pay the deductible before receiving a payment?
A. You do not need to pay your deductible out of pocket to receive payment on a claim. The deductible is subtracted from your covered damage so you don’t have to pay any of the deductible up front before you receive your claim payment.  
Q. Where can I buy a CEA earthquake insurance policy?
A. You can buy a CEA earthquake insurance policy through one of CEA's participating residential insurance companies. CEA does not offer stand-alone policies. Learn more about how to buy a CEA earthquake insurance policy.
Q: I don't have earthquake insurance. Can I buy a new CEA policy after an earthquake?

A: Yes. CEA has never imposed a moratorium on selling new earthquake insurance policies following any earthquake, even in the areas directly affected by the earthquake.*

If you do choose to purchase a new CEA earthquake insurance policy shortly after the occurrence of an earthquake in your area, and if there are aftershocks or other quakes that are related to that same earthquake, then you should be aware that your new CEA policy will not cover losses from these aftershocks or other related ground-shaking that occurs within 15 days (360 hours) after that earthquake, though would cover damage from completely unrelated earthquakes that may occur immediately after you purchase your policy. That original earthquake, together with all related shaking that occurs within 15 days, are collectively referred to as the "seismic event" in the CEA policy. In other words, the "seismic event" commences upon the initial earthquake, and all earthquakes or aftershocks that occur within the 360 hours (15 days) immediately following the initial earthquake are considered for purposes of this policy to be part of the same "seismic event."

For a loss to be covered under a CEA policy, both the original earthquake that caused the loss (to your property or belongings) and the 15-day "seismic event" that the earthquake is part of must commence during the policy period.

If, however, another earthquake occurs after the new policy goes into effect, and that earthquake is not seismically related to the earlier earthquake (not part of the earlier “seismic event”), then your losses from this new earthquake would be covered, even if they occurred immediately after the effective date of the policy, because those losses would arise from a different seismic event.

If you are a current policyholder and have experienced damage from a covered seismic event, and another quake occurs as part of the same event (for example, with the 2019 Ridgecrest earthquake, when a 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck and the next day a 7.1 magnitude struck, as part of the same seismic event), our 360-hour definition allows our policyholders to combine all the damage to meet their deductible. In other words, you do not need to meet your deductible each time; you only need to meet it once.

*It is possible, however, that one or more CEA participating insurers (who sell and service our policies), as well as other insurance companies, may declare a moratorium on new sales of their own insurance policies (e.g., homeowners, condominium owners, or renters insurance that covers the risk of fire) in the affected area after an earthquake or other disaster, so if you reside in an area that has been affected by a recent earthquake and are interested in purchasing homeowners or other property insurance, we recommend you contact the property insurer to see if they have issued a moratorium on the policy types they offer.

Q. What are my deductible options?
A. You can choose coverage deductibles of 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, or 25%. For new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and renewals on or after November 1, 2023, homes with a Coverage A dwelling limit greater than $1,000,000, or dwellings built before 1980 on a raised or other type foundation that do not have a verified retrofit, are only eligible for a 15%, 20% or 25% deductible.
Q. What's the difference between standard Homeowners and Homeowners Choice policies?
A. With the Homeowners Choice policy, you can purchase separate policy options instead of the standard Homeowners bundled coverage. CEA provides a comprehensive breakdown of both, so you can make the best choice for yourself and your family. 

Calculate Your Earthquake Insurance Premium