Home > Insurance Policies > Condominium > Condo Coverages & Deductibles

CEA Condo-Unit Policy Coverages & Deductibles

You might be surprised to discover how flexible and budget-friendly earthquake insurance can be. CEA offers a variety of coverage choices and deductible options for your condo unit.

CEA is not-for-profit. Our insurance rates are based on the best available science and research, not profit.

Use the CEA premium calculator to get a free insurance cost estimate. Then, contact your residential insurer, who will help you purchase your CEA policy.

How to Buy a Policy

Coverage options for condominiums*

Our earthquake insurance for condo-unit owners allows you to customize your policy.

Coverages Condo-Unit Policy Additional Information
Building Property Optional

Covers damage to parts of the inside of your condo unit, such as interior walls, fixtures and windows. May be purchased separately or with other coverages.

Coverage Limits Up to $100,000 Available in limits of $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000.
Deductible 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, or 25% of Building Property limit

Claim-payment example:

  • If your condo-unit Building Property limit is $100,000, and
  • You have purchased a 5% ($5,000) deductible, and
  • Your condo unit suffers $75,000 in Building Property earthquake damage, then
  • Your CEA claim payment would be $70,000 (your covered loss, less your deductible, up to the limit purchased).
Personal Property Optional (Included with Loss of Use Coverage)

Covers damage to your belongings, such as TVs and furniture. May be purchased separately (combined with Loss of Use) or with other coverages.

Coverage Limits Up to $25,000 Available in limits of $5,000 or $25,000.
Deductible 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, or 25% of Personal Property limit

Claim-payment example:

  • If your condo-unit Personal Property limit is $5,000, and
  • You have purchased a 15% ($750) deductible, and
  • An earthquake causes $12,000 in damage to your covered belongings, then
  • You will receive a payment for $5,000 (the covered damage, less the deductible, up to the limit of insurance purchased).
Loss of Use Optional (Included with Personal Property Coverage)

Covers additional living expenses if you need to live and eat elsewhere because earthquake damage or a civil authority prevents you from residing in your home. It also covers you for lost rent if your unit functions as a rental and your tenant must move out. May be purchased separately (with Personal Property Coverage) or with other coverages.

Coverage Limits Up to $100,000 Available in limits of $1,500, $10,000, $15,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000.
Deductible None There is never a deductible for Loss of Use.
Loss Assessment Optional

Helps pay your share of certain assessments that your homeowners association may levy on its members to pay for earthquake-damage repairs or a master-insurance-policy deductible. This coverage can help with assessments for repairs to certain exterior portions of your condo development and certain common areas. May be purchased alone or with other coverages.

Coverage Limits Up to $100,000 Available in limits of $25,000*, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000.
* Only available if the Fair Market Value of your unit is $135,000 or less.
Deductible 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% or 25% Deductible options range from 5% to 25% of the Loss Assessment coverage limit.
Building Code Upgrade Included when Building Property is purchased.

Local authorities require that rebuilding or significant repair work be performed in a manner consistent with current building codes (not the codes that were in effect when the property was built). This coverage helps pay expenses associated with code-compliant rebuilding or repairs.

Coverage Limit $10,000

Loss Assessment coverage already includes a $10,000 coverage limit for building-code-related upgrades assessed by an HOA. Building Code Upgrade covers up to an additional $10,000 to help bring your condo unit up to current building code standards as repairs are made.

Deductible Building Code upgrade is paid after your Building Property deductible is met.

Once your covered damage exceeds your Dwelling or Loss Assessment deductible, you could be eligible for payment for Building Code Upgrades, up to the coverage limit, to help bring your home up to current building code standards as repairs are made.

Emergency Repairs Included when Building Property Coverage or Personal Property Coverage is purchased.

Covers earthquake-damage repairs that are needed to protect your condo unit or personal property from further damage (examples: repair broken windows or remove broken glass).

Coverage Limits $1,500 for repairs to condo unit
$1,000 for repairs to personal property
Emergency Repairs provide coverage up to $1,500 for repairs to the unit, and up to $1,000 for repairs to personal property.
Deductible Emergency Repairs are paid, up to the respective limits, after Building Property and Personal Property deductibles are met.

There is no deductible for Emergency Repairs. Emergency repairs begin after the Building Property and Personal Property deductibles are met.


Not available for new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and renewals on or after November 1, 2023.

We encourage you to read your entire CEA policy—and its policy declarations page—to understand your coverages and how they work. Exclusions and special limits apply. All terms and conditions of CEA insurance coverage are found in the CEA insurance-policy form. Refer to a sample policy, below.

Condo Unit Policy Sample** (PDF)

*Reflects policy option changes that went into effect for new policies written on or after August 1, 2023 and for renewals on or after November 1, 2023. These changes include Dwelling Deductible Options (Coverage A), Personal Property Limits (Coverage C), Breakables, and Exterior Masonry Veneer. Learn more about our 2023 Policy Option Changes.

Condo-Unit Coverages & Deductibles FAQs

We’ve gathered some frequently asked questions from condo-unit owners to help you understand how a CEA policy can help you recover from the next damaging earthquake.
Q. How does CEA’s deductible work? Do I have to pay the deductible before receiving a payment?
A. You do not need to pay your deductible out of pocket to receive payment on a claim. The deductible is subtracted from your covered damage so you don’t have to pay any of the deductible up front before you receive your claim payment.  
Q. Will CEA pay for expenses if I have to move out of my home because of earthquake damage?
A. If you purchased Loss of Use coverage, you are eligible to receive payment for the additional living expenses necessary to maintain your normal standard of living, up to the coverage limit you selected. Remember that Loss of Use coverage never has a deductible!
Q. Who handles CEA applications, renewals, and claims?
A. CEA participating residential insurance companies process all policy applications, renewals, payments and claims.
Q. Is my condo unit at risk from an earthquake?
A. There are thousands of known faults in California, and scientists continue to discover new ones. Since earthquakes can happen anywhere in California, damage to your home and personal property is always possible. Check to see earthquake risk near you and take steps to get prepared
Q. Is there loss assessment coverage on a CEA condo unit policy?
A. Yes. Loss Assessment coverage can be added to your CEA condo policy and has options up to $100,000 for an individual unit owner to help cover the cost of special assessments your Homeowners Association (HOA) may assess for the cost of repairing the unit structures, or may be used towards the HOA’s master policy deductible. For all terms and conditions, please read the CEA condominium policy
Calculate Your Earthquake Insurance Premium