Home > Insurance Policies > Renters > Renters Coverages & Deductibles

CEA Renters Policy Coverages & Deductibles

You might be surprised to discover how flexible and budget-friendly earthquake insurance can be. CEA offers a variety of coverage choices and deductible options.

CEA’s rates are based on science, not profit. We use the best available science and research to set competitive earthquake insurance rates.

Use the CEA premium calculator to get a free insurance cost estimate. Then, contact your residential insurer, who will help you purchase your CEA policy.

How to Buy a Policy

Coverage options for renters

Our earthquake insurance for renters lets you set the coverage limits that are best for you. 

Coverages Renters Policy Additional Information
Personal Property Included Covers damage to your belongings, like TVs and furniture.
Coverage Limits Up to $200,000 Available in limits of $5,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000, $100,000, $150,000 or $200,000.
Deductible 5%-25%

Claim-payment example:

  • If you have $25,000 in Personal Property coverage, and
  • You have purchased a 5% ($1,250) deductible, and
  • An earthquake causes $20,000 in damage to your covered belongings, then
  • You will receive a payment for $18,750 (the covered damage, less the deductible, up to the limit purchased).
Loss of Use Included

Covers additional living expenses if you need to live and eat elsewhere because earthquake damage or a civil authority prevents you from residing in your rental.

Coverage Limits Up to $100,000 Available in $1,500, $10,000, $15,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 and $100,000 limits.
Deductible None There is never a deductible for Loss of Use.
Emergency Repairs Included

Covers earthquake-damage repairs that are needed to protect your personal property from further damage (examples: repair broken windows or remove broken glass).

Coverage Limits $1,000 or 5% of Personal Property coverage

If your rental is damaged by an earthquake, Emergency Repairs will cover up to $1,000 to make your home safe.

Deductible Emergency Repairs are paid, up to the limit, after your Personal Property deductible is met

There is no deductible for Emergency Repairs. Emergency repairs begin after the Personal Property deductible has been met.

Breakables Optional

Within policy terms, covers glassware, crystal, china, ceramic, pottery, porcelain, or marble items that are broken because of an earthquake.

Contact your CEA earthquake insurance provider or use the CEA premium calculator to get a free policy premium estimate. 

We encourage you to read your entire CEA policy—and its policy declarations page—to understand your coverages and how they work. Exclusions and special limits apply. All terms and conditions of CEA insurance coverage are found in the CEA insurance-policy form. Refer to a sample policy, below. 

Renters Policy Sample (PDF)
Optional Endorsement - Coverage For Breakables (PDF)

Renters Coverages & Deductibles FAQs

We’ve gathered some frequently asked questions from renters to help you understand how a CEA policy can help you recover from the next damaging earthquake.
Q. Won’t my landlord’s policy cover my belongings?
A. No. You’ll first need a separate renters policy, and then a CEA earthquake insurance policy, to cover damage to your personal belongings like TVs and furniture, and to cover loss of use in case earthquake damage keeps you out of your home. 
Q. How does CEA’s deductible work? Do I have to pay the deductible before receiving a payment?
A. You do not pay your deductible out of pocket to receive payment on a claim. The deductible is subtracted from your covered damage so you don’t have to pay any of the deductible up front before you receive your claim payment.  
Q. Will CEA pay for any expenses if I have to move out of my home because of earthquake damage?
A. If you purchased Loss of Use coverage, you are eligible for the additional living expenses necessary to maintain your normal standard of living, up to the coverage limit you selected. Remember that Loss of Use coverage never has a deductible!
Q. Who handles CEA applications, renewals, and claims?
A. CEA participating residential insurance companies process all policy applications, renewals, payments and claims.
Q. Is my rental at risk from an earthquake?
A. There are thousands of known faults in California, and scientists continue to discover new ones. Since earthquakes can happen anywhere in California, damage to your home and personal property is always possible. Check to see earthquake risk near you, and take steps to get prepared

Calculate Your Earthquake Insurance Premium