Your Earthquake Risk and Preparedness
How can you prepare your house to better withstand the next damaging earthquake?
You can reduce earthquake damage to your house's structure by taking steps to strengthen your home, such as:
- Bolting your house to the foundation and bracing your cripple walls.
- Strapping your water heater to the house's frame.
And reduce earthquake damage to your belongings by:
- Securing fragile items on your shelves with earthquake putty and straps.
Learn more about how to strengthen your home.
What's the earthquake risk in California?
California is earthquake country, with more than 2,000 known faults crisscrossing the state.
According to the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast (UCERF3), within the next 30 years, there is a:
- 99.7% chance a 6.7M or greater earthquake will strike California.
- 75% chance a 7.0M or greater earthquake will strike Southern California.
- 76% chance a 7.0M or greater earthquake will strike Northern California.
Learn more about California Quakes and Faults in your county.
What can you do to get yourself and your family prepared?
Learn more about getting yourself prepared for an earthquake.